The Internet Has Made Gambling Addiction More Prevalent
Once upon a time, you had to go to a casino if you wanted to gamble. Now, with gambling available on the Internet, you can gamble from the comfort of your own home just by providing your credit card information. With the advent of online gambling, more and more people around the world have developed a problem with gambling.
Gambling addiction is a major problem for millions of people around the world. It causes financial difficulties, relationship problems, work issues, and it can destroy someone’s self-respect. Once someone becomes a compulsive gambler, they usually need help to get back on track.
Seven Signs That You Might Have A Gambling Addiction
Are you a compulsive gambler? Here are seven signs that you may have a gambling addiction:
- You have financial difficulties because of your gambling. Have you run up significant credit card debt, gotten behind in your rent or mortgage payments, or borrowed money you can’t pay back because of your gambling activities? If so, this is a tell-tale sign that you have a problem with gambling.
- Your gambling has caused problems in your most important personal relationships. You may have a spouse who has told you time and time again to quit gambling, but you continue gambling anyway. You may have stopped spending time with the people you care about to gamble. If your gambling is putting a strain on the relationships that matter most to you. You may want to consider the fact that your gambling has gotten out of control.
- You have gambled after you promised yourself you wouldn’t. This is a sign that you have a problem. If you have made the commitment to yourself that you were going to stop gambling and you have continued to gamble anyway, your situation is likely out of control. If you are gambling against your own will, and you seem to be unable to stop on your own, you may need professional help.
- You are hiding your gambling from others or lying about it. If you have to gamble in secret because you are ashamed of what you are doing – or you know it is going to cause problems in your relationships – you should be concerned. This means you feel you are doing something wrong and you are ashamed of what you are doing. This is a strong indicator that you have a gambling addiction.
- Gambling is causing problems at work. If your work performance is suffering because of your gambling habits, this is a red flag. If you are missing work to gamble, coming in late because you were up gambling late the night before, or you are unable to focus because you are constantly obsessing about gambling, you’re in trouble.
- You obsess about gambling. If you are constantly thinking about gambling when you are not gambling, this is cause for concern. People who do not have a problem with gambling do not spend a lot of their thought life focused on gambling.
- You feel ashamed about your gambling habits. In the beginning, gambling can be tons of fun. Over time, though, it can degrade a person’s self-respect and cause them to feel shame and guilt about what they are doing. If this is how you feel – ashamed and guilty – your gambling probably stopped being fun a long time ago and has become an addiction.
Do You Have A Problem With Gambling? DARA Thailand Can Help
People come from all over the world to get help for gambling addiction at DARA Thailand. We treat behavioral addictions such as gambling with evidence-based treatment that drives positive results. If you have a gambling addiction, chances are you have tried time and time to quit on your own, but you have been unsuccessful. Call us and talk to one of your addiction experts. We can help you get your life back on track.
CLICK HERE to get a Free Confidential Gambling Addiction Rehabilitation Assessment.