Understanding the current escalating drug problem in Australia is complex. DARA has seen increasing number of clients coming from Queensland and other parts of Australia for our help. Here are some of the major reasons why:
- Many states in Australia, such as Queensland, have relatively few residential treatment centers in comparison to the need.
- Nearly all treatment centers have long waiting lists so that when someone is ready to ask for treatment for drug or alcohol problems, help may not be available during this critical window of opportunity.
- Crystal meth use in Australia has doubled between 2010-2013, making the need for addiction treatment skyrocket, and the waiting lists even longer.
- While $7billion is generated by alcohol related taxes each year in Australia, the costs for alcohol related treatment is over $15.3 billion.
- The amount of oxycodone being prescribed by physicians in Australia has increased nine fold in the year 2009; problems with prescription painkiller dependence and addiction has also increased the need for effective treatment options.
- In Australia, a private residential substance use rehab can have a monthly cost of between $15,000 and $135,000.
- According to Brendan Post of the Queensland Network of Alcohol and Other Drug Services, there is interim help available for some outpatient services but are these stretched-thin due to the numbers of citizens who need treatment.
- While outpatient services are at a later stage of recovery, individuals with a drug or alcohol addiction statistically do better when first receiving a more intensive and structured rehab program.
- On a typical day in Australia, nearly 50,000 Australians are receiving medical-management of an addiction with suboxone, methadone, and other pharmacotherapy.
- The culture of drug abuse in Australia stretches as far as the recently revealed issue in the Royal Australian Navy.
DARA encourages Australians to contact us. We are here to help you immediately. You’ll talk directly to a counselor, not an answering machine. You’ll learn how we can offer an all-inclusive residential program that is affordable to the average family. We are proud to offer an individualized program of care by an expert clinical team unmatched anywhere else in the world.
If you, or someone you care about, needs help for a drug or alcohol addiction,
contact us at 1-888-457-3518 US, 0-808-120-3633 UK or 1-800-990-523 AU.
We’re here to help you take that first important step.
Latest posts by Anne - (see all)
- The mental health of Australian firefighters - December 24, 2019
- Firefighters and addiction; is this brave profession more vulnerable? - December 24, 2019
- Ben Affleck’s relapse over Halloween reminds us all to be careful - October 29, 2019