Addiction is not just a personal issue. It is a global threat. The National Institutes of Health (NIH) reports that at least 15.3 million people worldwide have drug use disorders; of those, 2.3 million meet the criteria for drug use disorder. By examining addiction on an international level, agencies like the NIH, the United Nations, and the World Health Organization are sharing information, discoveries and solutions, opening doors to recovery that might have remained closed without public education across international borders.
Some recent findings that may surprise or even shock you:
- According to the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, by 2050, the number of illicit drug users is predicted to increase by 25% internationally.
- Internet addiction is a growing global problem and now officially recognized as Internet Addiction Disorder (IDA). The first IDA Congress was held in Milan this year.
- Turning up to work hung over or coming down from the effects of drugs is common, according to the 2014 Global Drug Survey, with over one-third of those surveyed reporting that they have gone to work hung-over from the use of drugs or alcohol.
- The Global Drug survey also reports that In more than half of the world’s countries, prescription drugs were among the top three misused substances
- Researchers from Canada’s University of Victoria have found that marijuana use reduces the odds of people between the ages of 15 and 25 entering college.
- The National Institutes of Health reports that alcohol abuse is the leading risk factor for premature death and disability among people between the ages of 15 and 49.
- Earlier this year, public health inspectors in the United Kingdom reported traces of cocaine in Britain’s drinking water; researchers have attributed its presence to high usage among Brits.
If you, or someone you care about, needs help for a drug or alcohol addiction,
contact us at 1-888-457-3518 US, 0-808-120-3633 UK or 1-800-990-523 AU.
We’re here to help you take that first important step.
Latest posts by Anne - (see all)
- Ben Affleck’s relapse over Halloween reminds us all to be careful - October 29, 2019
- Why try DARA Rehab, after relapsing - September 27, 2019
- From Spain to Koh Chang - September 24, 2019